At cereneo we treat people with neurological impairments caused by a variety of different reasons. One of them can be a traumatic brain injury. While certain neurological diagnoses are commonly related to a certain age group, a traumatic brain injury can occur at any age and caused by many different events:
- falls, e.g. from a ladder, bed or stairs
- car collisions,
- sports accidents, e.g. from soccer, skiing, hiking, skateboarding or any other high-impact sport activities,
Depending on the intensity of the event, there might not be any symptoms at all or only mild symptoms. Some symptoms appear immediately after the incident, while other signs might show only after days or a few weeks later.
Typical symptoms that might occur include:
Physical and sensory symptoms
- Nausea, vomiting, dizziness
- Loss of balance or coordination
- Problems with speech or vision
- Sensitivity to light
- Numbness in fingers and toes
Cognitive, behavioural or mental symptoms
- Loss of consciousness
- Problems with concentration or memorizing things
- Mood changes
- Difficulties sleeping or sleeping more than usual
It is always good to seek advice from a doctor after an accident involving the head, even if all appears good. He or she can give you guidance on what to watch out for in the weeks following the accident. In severe cases patient will be treated in a hospital and your physician will give you advice on further measures.
At cereneo we develop an individual rehabilitation training to meet your goals and speed up your recovery after a traumatic brain injury. We are your partner during your entire recovery process and our team will answer your questions on rehabilitation options or you can get a second opinion from one of our neurologists.